Monday, January 29, 2007

Take Pills




I feel confident to say that Animal Collective is the closest thing to a favorite band that I have right now. Now I don't exactly know what the criteria is for a favorite band, because the last favorite band I was willing to venture from my little obscure musical woodland camp was Radiohead, but only because of Kid A and several songs from OK Computer and the ones after that (Bends and Pablo Honey? Oi! Out!) and I let their importance in my life wane and expire several years ago now.

My adventurousness and willingness to use flag symbols to communicate my sequestered musical tastes have changed with the time and the constant influx of music; very rarely do I venture a "favorite band" anymore without a schoolgirlish grin and a downnosed shoescuffle. In other words, AC blows my mind with just about everything they do. And that holds very true for Panda Bear's new album "Person Pitch."

The blogosphere has been bloated with Panda praise like swimming trunks coming out of a pool so I'll just add my two cents and shut the hell up. Person Pitch is most likely going to be one of my favorite albums of the year, assuming The Arcade Fire doesn't pull my ears off and jam them up my nostrils with a hot pitchfork (they won't).

Sounding like it was recorded in a subway stop, intentionally so I'd imagine counting the number of subway/train samples Panda Bear uses, the drone/echo factor here is, on a scale from one to echo, way off the fucking charts. But thats a good thing, don't let it scare you, Panda uses delay like Bob Ross uses afro. deftly. And if "Young Prayer" didn't convince you that Panda Bear had a natural affinity for beautiful melodies then you might want to think about turning up that hearing aide, Dad.

Take Pills starts with a strangely beated, but on beat, loop of a subway car passing, and slowly a few instruments smolder their way through beneath Panda Bear's mournful tune from way down one of the subway tunnels. And then your trains stops at a stop and here he comes down the track with a full parade of echoing, harmonizing himselfs playing one of the greatest and most joyous melodies I've ever heard that babbles its way down the scale. And as soon as it starts the doors shut and your train moves on, and you turn back to reading the onion.

Panda Bear - Take Pills

Heres a couple from Gorilla Vs. Bear

Panda Bear - Bros

Panda Bear - Comfy in Nautica

- Signing out

2 comments:

Alex said...

I still need to give a close listen to the album, but my only early complaint is that the Beach Boys homage is almost too foregrounded. I understand he's doing a lot of other things too, and certainly I can't really force him to sing with a different voice, but the touchstone feels really heavy on these songs - much more than on any Animal Collective material I've heard. But, you know, early complaint, I'm sure that I'll come to like the album after a few listens.

Cap'n Guthrie said...

i find that only the first three tracks really play up on the brian wilson thing. after that its a bit more AC and a bit less BW, so check that out.